How to Create Blueprint Dashboards

How to Create Blueprint Dashboards

@henry sneed

Learn how to create a basic Blueprint Dashboard. Blueprint Dashboards are a type of Dashboard that allows users to dynamically link widgets to multiple devices by assigning matching tags to devices and the blueprint devices they will link to. This allows users to create widgets that can be instantly applied to any number of devices that share the same blueprint tag, permitting greater scaling in addition to more visualization options.

Add Device Tags

Start by adding tags to the devices you would like to use in your dashboard. Click on the Devices tab, select Tabs, and enter a tag key and tag value. Save your changes.

Tips: Use intuitive tag keys and tag values that are easy to recall for when you add your Blueprint Devices later on

Add a Blueprint Dashboard

Now add a blueprint dashboard by clicking the small addition symbol on the left side of the screen.

Select the Blueprint option and click “Next Step.”

Add Blueprint Devices

Next you will need to add blueprint devices to your dashboard. Click the “Add new Blueprint device.”

Note: You can add up to 20 Blueprint Devices in a single dashboard.

Create a name for your blueprint devices (you can name it anything) and enter the tag key and tag value that you want associated with the device. Here I have added the same tag key and value that my temperature sensor has, so that sensor will be one of the devices available to my dashboard. For the humidity sensor, my device has two tags, so I have added a second condition (tag) that must be met.

Add Widgets

You can now start adding widgets to your Blueprint Dashboard.

Tips: Make sure you are in edit mode and that the background is not solid. To enter edit mode, click the eye symbol in the upper right corner of the platform.

To add a Dial Widget, give the widget a title and select the Blueprint Device and Variable that it will represent.

Edit the colors and options to create the optimal display. Here I have changed the background and the fill to create a sensible contrast of colors and I have turned off the “show variable” setting in Options so that the variable is not displayed underneath the variable value. You can also deal with the variable by creating an alias that can serve as a more practical stand in for what could be a verbose variable name.

Use Preview Mode to see what your dashboard widget will look like on an IOS or Android phone.

After finishing and saving the Dial Widget, add a new dashboard to display the humidity.

Next, select the blueprint device and variable for the widget.

Add the styling elements and display options you would like in your widget.

The Blueprint Dashboard is now complete.

Tips: Watch our video on Creating Blueprint Dashboards