Blueprint dashboard with different quantity of devices

Hello,

I’m trying to put a blueprint dashboard together to give customers an overview of all temperature sensors (up to 10) assigned to them. Ideally, I would like to display the current temperature of each sensor as a Card or Display widget. However, each customer may have a different quantity of temperature sensors assigned to them.

Right now, I’ve got access management set up to connect each device to a customer, and 10 blueprint devices created to display the temperature on different cards. Is there any way to toggle the visibility of widgets based on a tag? That way, a customer with only 5 sensors wouldn’t see 5 blank cards. Alternatively, is there another way to handle different quantities of devices on a blueprint dashboard?

Thanks!

Hi @jefft, I know a few ways to approach this depending on how you want it to look!

Solution 1: Using a dynamic table and series (here’s a post I wrote explaining series). It’s my personal favorite way to implement any sort of device list; it lets you show all of your devices and it updates easily. Every time a sensor sends an updated temperature, you would also send that data to a customer-specific “device list” dummy device. Here’s an example of sending data to the dummy device, you could also add time you last heard from it or any others useful values. The sensor’s name is “mySensor#0002” and it took a reading of 80f.

[{
    variable: "sensor",
    value: "mySensor#0002",
    serie: "mySensor#0002"
},
{
    variable: "temperature",
    value: 80,
    unit: "F",
    serie: "mySensor#0002"
}]

A dynamic table with column 1 showing the dummy device’s sensor value, and column 2 showing the dummy device’s temperature value will do a few things:

1. “sensor” and “temperature” are linked via the serie value and will display on the same line
  2. Any time you update the “temperature” with the same serie, it will overwrite the old temperature value.

This lets you show any number of sensors, just keep in mind that anything you plan on doing with the readings should still be done with the original device, not the dummy!

Solution 2: If you know that the maximum number of sensors will be 10 and most customers will have close to this amount, you can make a static table with 10 rows and 2 columns. Instead of adding text like “Sensor 1:” to the left column, you can make these variables. If the customer has 1 device, you can have the variables say “Sensor 1:”, “”, “”… This still leaves blank rows, but I think it looks much better than a blank card. Here’s an example, I crossed my data out but it should give you an idea. The first device does not have any of this information so the fields are filled with “”, while the second device has all the data regarding it.

Please let me know if you want any more information or help regarding the below!

1 Like

Hey Andreas,

Great, thank you for the detailed response! I think this will work for me,